Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 2 - 21 Day Challenge 5K Prep


Wow, what a day!  I felt a lot better today but still not motivated enough to tackle some reading for this review that is due at the end of this month.

I ran 1.8 miles again today and my mile was a lot slower 8'30".  But, to my defense I ran a different route with more hills.

I came across a study in the Journal of Affective Disorder in which the authors measured levels of atrial natriurectic peptide (ANP) and brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) before and after exercise in major depressive disorder patients (MDD).  The two peptides are important in regulating levels of hormones in the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis.  The authors think that lower concentrations of ANP and BNP observed during rest and exercise in MDD together with a decreased dynamic response of these peptides to maximal exercise might explain why high HPA system hormones are seen in these patients.  This work opens up the possibility that physical training might increase the levels of these peptides and diminish depressive symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment